- Make mistakes
- Fall in and out of love
- Say the wrong thing at the wrong time
- Have the ability to care for others and other things
- Learn from their mistakes
- Say they are sorry
- Have feelings and emotions
- Over think things
- Under think things
- Know too much, know too little
- Seem to be unhappy more than happy
- Reason and write
- Create art
“We are “rational animals” pursuing knowledge for its own sake. We live by art and reasoning,” said Aristotle. Of course, rational is a relative term based on your own definition of what is rational and what is not.
This last year has created huge challenges throughout the world and has tested our humanity. Webster defines humanity as
- compassionate, sympathetic, or generous behavior or disposition : the quality or state of being humane
- the quality or state of being human
Sometimes as I watch the news and listen to what is happening all around the world I feel we have lost our way and our sense of humanity and being human. I think we have forgotten what it means to be human.
This might be a perfect opportunity, one year plus into COVID, to take stock and consider what we believe it means to be human and how we live up to being human.
You might take a moment to reflect on the following questions:
- What matters most to you as a human being and how do you prioritize it?
- What will you not tolerate?
- What do you want to do more of as a human being?
This last year you may have made many changes by choice or not to how you live, interact, learn and be. As things start to “return” to whatever the new normal is – how do you want to show up? What will be the same for you and what will be different? What new approaches to life will you take? To relationships? To being out in public?
I am working on the following:
- How do I love myself no matter what?
- How do I set better boundaries and stick to them
- COVID helped me value time with myself and just my loved ones
- How do I stay present when it often feels like there are a million things to do?
- How do I put myself first?
First, I am evaluating what is important to me as a human being and how I want to show up in the world. I want to be kind, compassionate and full of life. I want to feel all things but not get too wrapped up in any one feeling.
I want to make small decisions everyday that impact my long-term goals. Choosing to eat healthy meal by meal, snack by snack. Choosing to get up and move my body everyday. Watching my caffeine and sugar intake especially when I am feeling extra stressed. Getting body work as it feels safe – when you give it, you got to get it. Choosing to buy the less expensive food item, clothing brand etc. to put more away for the future. Asking – what will serve me the best right now?
When I make a mistake, checking in. Do I need to apologize? What did I learn? How can I do it differently next time. I want to NOT criticize and berate myself.
I want to wake up each day and first say – I love you, just as you are. Here’s to a good day!”
Want to practice being human with me? I hope so!